CHAO PINHOLE® SURGICAL TECHNIQUE
Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique
The Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique, also known as Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation, is a scalpel-free, suture-free, graft-free, minimally invasive procedure for correcting gum recession and saving teeth.
What is gum recession?
Gum recession refers to the loss of gum tissue along the gumline. This can occur as a result of periodontal disease (gingivitis, periodontitis, advanced periodontitis), the natural aging process or abrasive habits when it comes to brushing the teeth.
Why should gum recession be taken seriously?
When gum recession occurs, the root structure of the tooth becomes exposed. This means that tooth decay and other problems can affect the teeth along the gumline and beneath it. Since healthy gums are essential for a healthy mouth, getting gum recession treated is important for lasting dental wellness.
Through a small hole made by a needle, specially designed instruments are used to loosen the gum tissue and glide it over the receded part of the tooth. Since there is no cutting or stitching, patients can expect minimal post-operative symptoms (pain, swelling and bleeding). Patients are pleasantly surprised by the instant cosmetic improvement. Most patients are able to resume light activities within 24–48 hours after treatment (excluding working out or strenuous activities).
Traditional gum recession treatments involve the use of donor tissue or soft tissue grafts in order to rebuild the gumline. This soft tissue would be sutured in place and would join with existing gum tissue as it healed.
While this traditional grafting treatment is effective, comparable results with better patient experience can be achieved through the Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique. Only a Pinhole Academy certified dentist like Dr. Lion Berzin can offer this technique.
Top 10 benefits of the Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique:
1. Can correct gum recession in as little as one treatment session.
2. Minimal discomfort and swelling in most cases because the method is scalpel free, suture free and graft free.
3. Long-term results per the International Journal of Periodontology & Restorative Dentistry (October 2012).
4. The pinholes heal in 24 hours in most cases.
5. Only two over-the-counter pain pills required after treatment on average, per the study in the International Journal of Periodontology & Restorative Dentistry (October 2012).
6. Can prevent tooth loss and the need for other costly procedures, such as implants or dentures.
7. Treatment sessions can be completed in as little as 1-2 hours in many cases.
8. Can create a more youthful and attractive appearance.
9. Patients often describe feeling happier due to being able to smile without the shame or guilt associated with ugly receded gums.
10. Most patients are back to normal light activities within 24-48 hours post procedure.